I started by looking at my current diapers and taking the things I like about each diaper and trying to create it with my diaper. Then I made a pattern from the "bests" of the diapers. I used one flannel receiving blanket, one fleece baby blanket, a scrap of flannel, and a new microfleece towel to make it. Everything was upcycled or on-hand at home. I also used an elastic hairband for a better fit. I didn't have any thin elastic, so I improvised.
It took some experimenting and creativity to do this for the first time. When I "finished" with the diaper, I realized that I made the "wings" too short and it didn't fit around the baby. She's pretty petite, so I knew this would be a problem. I ended up making extentions on the wings. It made it a little bit cuter (in my opinion) and much easier to put on. Since it isn't waterproof, it is just a fitted. I think that after I practice a bit, I will try to make an AIO out of PUL.
So here's the finished product:
ON THE BABY
I am testing this diaper out as I type and I'm hoping for absorbant results!!!