When you love what you have, you have everything you need.




Thursday, December 8, 2011

Going Gluten-Free


Well, after a short hospital stay and some tests, I found out today that I have Celiac's Disease.  This came as a huge surprise, because it wasn't what the doctor had been looking for in the first place:  my symptoms were pointing to Chrone's.  I am glad that it isn't Chrone's, but I am not looking forward to following a gluten-free diet.  I'm going to do it, of course, because I really want to feel better.  Before I start my new diet I have to say "I LOVE PASTA!"  The common joke around this house is "What are we having for dinner?  Pasta or chicken?  Or chicken with pasta?"  I just know that any kind of pasta is super easy to make, and pretty hard to screw up.  But after looking on the internet today, I have found that there are gluten-free pastas for sale out there, and have found plenty of recipes to make my own.  So no worries for my family, pasta can still be served around here!  LOL!

The biggest concern I have is how I will adjust to the different taste and texture of gluten-free foods.  As anyone who knows me can attest to:  I am a really picky eater!  Not only does the food have to taste good, it also has to smell good and have the right texture.  Gluten-free bread and pasta will be a challenge to get used to for me. 

I am encouraged, though.  I have spent the day looking at gluten-free recipes, and have found some good ones to try.  I have also ordered some books on Amazon.com.  These include:  "The G-Free Diet:  A Gluten-Free Survival Guide" by Elisabeth Hasselbeck and "Gluten-Free on a Shoestring" by Nicole Hunn.  I look forward to seeing what they have to offer. 

I was advised to just eat as I normally would until I meet with the doctor in a couple weeks, so I will be able to have the BBQ ribs I asked for on my birthday!!!  And I still get to eat some delicious Christmas cookies, but I also plan to try out some gluten-free cookies too!

So good luck to me as I set out on a new journey!  Once I get going, I know I will start feeling better and it will all be worth it!

BTW:  Anyone who is already gluten-free, feel free to send me a message with a recipe to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment